There’s nothing so endearing as tiny babies folded into tiny positions. This adorable crochet baby cocoon will keep your little one all cozily wrapped up in those first few weeks. Forget the swaddle and slip baby into this cute crochet baby sleep sack. It’s also perfect as a newborn photo prop.
This cocoon comes in one size suitable for an average size Newborn under 2 weeks of age. It is designed for a very snug fit around the baby, and although it does have lots of stretch, it will not fit babies over 9 lbs.
This pattern calls for Size 10.0mm (N/P) Crochet Hook and Super Bulky (6) yarn.
Please Pay With A Share!
1. Head over to Ravelry, add this pattern to your favorites and queue the pattern listing. This is a great way to help designers connect with new customers, and we always super appreciate you taking that extra moment!
2. Share this blog post with your crafty friends. Please use the handy social sharing buttons at the bottom of this post so your crafty friends can take advantage of this free pattern too.
3. Scroll down to view the pattern OR if you’d like an ad-free PDF copy of this pattern (or to add the pattern to your Rav. library), simply input your email address into this form and I’ll email one over:
Garden Cocoon Crochet Pattern
- Yarn: Approximately 130 yards of super bulky (6) yarn (I used Lion Brand’s Hometown USA)
- Crochet Hook: Size 10.0 mm (N) OR whatever size is needed to achieve gauge
- Yarn or Tapestry Needle
5 sts and 2 rows = 2 inches (5 centimeters) In Double Crochet
***It is important to check your gauge!***
- SC: Single Crochet
- DC: Double Crochet
- CH: Chain
- FPDC: Front Post Double Crochet
- BPDC: Back Post Double Crochet
- **: Repeat the section in between the two stars as specified
**Note: This design is meant to be super snug around a Newborn baby and is meant to fit a 6-8 lb. baby. Your project will look very small until it is stretched out around the Newborn. Be sure to cast on your stitches loosely so the opening of the cocoon can be stretched to slide a Newborn in.**
Newborn Cocoon Pattern
Create a Magic Circle with 6 Single Crochet sts in the center.
Join in the round by slip stitching first and last sts together. Chain 1
Round 1: 2 SC sts into each stitch around, slip stitch into first stitch, CH1 (12 total sts)
Round 2: *2 SC sts into next stitch, SC into next stitch* Repeat around, slip stitch into first stitch, CH1 (18 total sts, not including starting chain)
Round 3: *2 SC sts into next stitch, SC into each of next two sts* Repeat around, slip stitch into first stitch, CH1 (24 total sts)
Round 4: *2 SC sts into next stitch, SC into each of next three sts* Repeat around, slip stitch into first stitch, CH1 (30 total sts)
Round 5: *2 SC sts into next stitch, SC into each of next four sts* Repeat around, slip stitch into first stitch, CH2 (36 total sts)
Round 6: Double crochet into each stitch around, slip stitch into first stitch, CH2
Round 7: *FPDC around next stitch, BPDC around next stitch* Repeat around, slip stitch into first stitch, CH2
Repeat Round 7 until your piece measures approx. 11.5 inches (29.25cm) from round 7.
Fasten off. Cut yarn, and weave in all ends.
You will now start working in rows.
Pick up a new strand of yarn and count 15 sts from the center back (previous seam). Work the first stitch of Row 1 into this stitch with outside facing you. Slip stitch into the stitch next to this one to connect your yarn, CH2, then start Row 1.
Row 1: *FPDC around next stitch, BPDC around next stitch* Repeat 14 more times, CH2, Turn Work (30 total sts worked, not including turning chain)
Row 2: *BPDC around next stitch, FPDC around next stitch* Repeat 14 more times, CH2, Turn Work
Repeat Rows 1&2 until your piece measures approx. 6 inches (15.25cm) from the point you started working in rows.
Turn your project inside out.
Fold your hood in half and line up the two sides so the stitches are matching.
Seam up the top of your hood by Single Crocheting the two coordinating sts from each side together.
Fasten off. Cut yarn and weave in all ends.
Turn project right side out.
This design, a written work and images are a copyright of
©MelodysMakings and may not be copied or reproduced in any way.
You have permission to sell finished products made from this pattern, but please leave a link to my website, www.melodys-makings.com, in your product listing specifying that I am the designer of this pattern. Thank you for supporting me as a work at home mother!